Calverhall Veg & Flower Show
Sunday 24th August 2008 At 2:00 pm in Calverhall Village Hall
Entries accepted between 9:00 and 11:30 am
Schedules from Linda Malam, 1 Office Row, Calverhall
(01948) 890213 Or
Whitchurch Heritage Centre
SCHEDULE OF CLASSES BELOW
SECTION A - FLOWERS
- Vase of three roses
- One Multi - Headed rose
- One geranium (pelargonium) head
- One hydrangea head
- Vase of three dahlias
- One specimen gladiolus spike
- Vase of mixed garden flowers
- Vase of annuals
- Vase of mixed foliage, berries and/or seed heads
- 5 stems of foliage
SECTION B - VEGETABLES
- Five tomatoes
- Five red cherry tomatoes (inc. “ Gardeners Delight” )
- Five cherry tomatoes of any other colour
- Five runner beans
- Five French beans
- Three onions - grown from sets
- Three root vegetables of one variety (tops may be removed)
- Bunch of five herbs suitable for use in cooking ( in water )
- Heaviest marrow or courgette
- Three courgettes
- One cucumber
- Collection of three different salad items
- Any other variety of vegetable not already in schedule
**SPECIAL PRIZE FOR WHOEVER GROWS THE BIGGEST PUMPKIN**
SECTION C - FRUIT
- Five cooking apples
- Five eating apples
- Five pears
- Five plums of damsons
- Dish of soft fruit - one variety
- Any other fruit not already in the schedule
SECTION D - POT PLANTS & MISCELLANEOUS
- Any plant in bloom in pot up to 5 inches
- Foliage plant
- One specimen cactus or suculent
- Any exotic flower or flowering plant
- Vase of weeds from your garden
SECTION E - COOKERY
- Jar of raspberry jam
- Jar of marmalade
- Jar of blackcurrant jam
- Jar of strawberry jam
- Chocolate sponge with butter cream filling topped with a dusting of icing sugar
- Buiscuits (melting moments)
- Jar of home made pickle any variety
- Jar of home made chutney
Buiscuit Recipe and Method
4oz Butter or margarine
Drop of vanilla essence
1 egg yolk
5oz Self raising flour
Grease baking sheet, cream the fat and sugar, then beat in vanilla essence and egg yolk. Work in the flour and mix to a smooth dough. Wet hands and divide the mixture in to small balls. Roll these in the cornflakes, flattening them as you go. Place on the baking sheet and bake in preheated oven at 375F or gas mark 5. Cook for 15 - 20 minutes, remove and cool on a wire rack.
SECTION F - FLOWER ARRANGING
- A miniature arrangement not to exceed 4” in width or height in a container of your choice
- An arrangement of three leaves and three flowers
- Foliage (no flowers)
- A container planted up for autumn interest; container to be no larger than 40cm / 16 inches in diameter. Plants do not have to be home grown.
SECTION G - CRAFTS
- A piece of hand or machine embroidery
- A piece of patchwork
- A hand or machine knitted item
- A home made card
- A piece of wood or metal craft
SECTION H - PHOTOGRAPHY
ALL ENTRIES IN COLOUR OR BLACK AND WHITE, PRINT SIZE TO BE NO MORE THAN 12” x 10”.
PRINTS TO BE MOUNTED ON CARD; NO FRAMES OR GLASS
- Landscape or waterscape
- Plants, flowers or garden scene
- People - to include children, adults, portraits etc
- Animal life - other than people
- A photograph taken during wintry weather of 2007/2008
- Humerous - or unexpected moments
SECTION I - CHILDRENS SECTION (Prizes are awarded in age categories, 7 and under, 8 - 11)
- Drawing or painting of plants or flowers
- Drawing of a cartoon character.
- A garden design in a seed tray
* Special thanks to the judges, Dr Nicola Reynolds, Derek Jones and Mr Alan Heath*
Also thank you to all people who have kindly donated sponsorships.
NOTES FOR EXHIBITORS
- All Classes are open
- Exhibits in sections A, B, C and D must have been grown by the exhibitor or have been cultivated by the exhibitor for at least the three months prior to the show.
- Whenever possible, exhibitors are encouraged to display the name of the variety of fruit or vegetable being exhibited.
- Entries in sections E, F, G, H and I are to be the exhibitors own work.
- If there are three or fewer entries in any class, the judges reserve the right to combine classes.
- In all classes, if exhibits considered not up to standard, the granting of an award will be left to the judges discretion. At the judges discretion a prize will be presented to the best exhibit in each section.
- In ALL cases the judges decision will be FINAL.
- Entry Fees: Section J (children) 20p per exhibit Other sections: 50p per exhibitor
- Prizes First £1.00 Second 50p Third 30p Any Prize monies not collected by 4.oomph will be deemed to be a donation to Family Fun Day.
- Challenge cups to be held for one year and must not be engraved.
- Entry forms and fees will be accepted between 9am and 11.30am on the day of the show at the Village Hall
- All exhibits to be staged between 9.00am and 12 noon , at 12 noon the hall will be cleared for judging.
- Trophies will be presented at 4.oomph.
- No exhibits may be removed before the presentation of trophies.
- Exhibitors must provide their own vases, dishes etc.
All exhibits are entered at the exhibitors own risk
Trophies will be awarded to the best flower arrangement in show and the other trophy to the person with most points in show .